Saturday, February 21, 2015

What Does it Mean to be a Teacher (SLPP) (A15)

My parents believed that teaching and nursing were very respectable professions for women.   As a teenager, I worked with kiddos in VBS, children's church, the church nursery, and did babysitting. When I was a Junior in High School, my dad strongly encouraged me to consider a career in education.   After a divorce, four children, and eleven years later, I enrolled in college.

I had grown up in a community and in a time where teachers were respected.  If you had gotten into trouble; you prayed that the teacher wouldn't call your parents.  But, times had changed and as a first- year teacher, I soon realized it.

I don't remember when I first heard the quote "Those who can, do. And those who can't, teach.  What I do remember is that I thought "What a lack of respect"!   As a college student to first-year teacher, I had a bumper sticker on my car that said, "If you can read this, thank a teacher."

Since everyone has experienced a school, many people believe that they know education.  However, education changes with time.  We have moved from "teacher directed" to "child center" to a more eclectic methodology.  The pendulum swings.  A perfect example would be the traditional teaching of reading to whole language.  As education and technology change, teachers also must change their teaching methods.  (from slates to paper, to paperless).

When I went to elementary and high school, children with some special needs ie down syndrome never went to school.  They were kept at home, sent to a special school, or institutionalized.  Now, they are entitled to a free and appropriate education in the school system.  With that passing, school systems and teachers had to adjust to the change.

Working in school systems for fifteen years, I have had the opportunity to work with many so-called "inferior blueberries".  As teachers, we can not change their situation; we can advocate on their behalf.  We can impact their lives, either negatively or positively.  We can turn them on to learning or turn them off.

For me, my pay isn't only measured in dollars and cents.  My greatest pay is paid with that "light bulb" moment or when a former students eagerly greets you.  As an SLPP, I celebrate with my students as they "graduate" (are dismissed) from services.



No comments:

Post a Comment