Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Libraries in the Future (A19)

The last time that I went into a public library was three and half years ago.  I went to there to check out books because our Head Start had a very limited number of books on any given topic or appropriate for story time.  Some of the books that I wanted, I had to do an inter-library loan for and then waited 3-5 days for them to come in.  Also, there were times that the book I wanted was checked out and was late in being returned.  It took a considerable amount of pre-planning for the books that I wanted to share with the children on any given unit/topic.  

I noticed that many of the individuals using the library were probably from lower income homes. The vehicles in the parking lot also provided evidence of this.  I noticed that some of the individuals were impaired (hearing, cognitive, physically, etc.)  They had come there to use the internet, read the newspapers/magazines, check out materials and some went into little rooms where they could listen to cassettes/CD's or watch movies.  Some of these individuals needed quite a bit of assistance.   

Digital libraries would allow numerous people access to the same book, magazine, etc. at the same time.  For students doing research, they would have access to a wealth of information.  Teachers would have unlimited access to videos to share with their students.  Digital libraries would allow for instant access to a needed source. 

I would hope that an actual public library building would continue to exist in the future. There are always going to be people with limited financial resources, the elderly, and the impaired.   With technology changing so quickly, it would be hard if not impossible for these populations to be completely successful on their own.  For myself, the first time I entered that library I too needed assistance with checking to see if they had the book, whether or not it was in, or when I had to do an inter-library loan.  After using the library system a few times, I too became functionally proficient; still every once in awhile; I had a question or two. 

Thus, I believe that the actual library building and the librarians will continue in the future, however: I do believe that the library building may change and the librarians' roles may change some.  The librarian will continue to assist people with technology.   The actual library building at some point may be smaller in size, but I do believe that they will still exist.





No comments:

Post a Comment